OUTPUT DESIGN GUIDELINES
There are many issues that apply to output design. The following general principles are important for output design:
1,. Computer outputs should be simple to read and interpret :
- Every output should hay.e a .
.• Every output should be dated and time-stamped. This helps the reader appreciate the currency of information.
- Reports and screens should include sections and headings to segment
- In form-based outputs, all fields should be clearly labelled.
- In tabular-based outputs, columns should be clearly labelled.
- Information should never have to be manually edited to become usable.
- Users must be able to easily find the output, move forward and backward, and exit the report.
- Computer jargon and error messages should be omitted from all outputs.
- The timing of computer outputs is important : Output information must reach recipients while the information is pertinent to,transactions or decisions. This can affect how the output is designed and implemented.
- The distribution of computer outputs must be sufficient to assist all relevant system users : The choice of implementation method affects distribution.
- The computer output must be acceptable to the system users who will receive them : An output design may contain the required information and still not be acceptable to the system user.
- Quality : This relates to the contents, appearance and accuracy of the output. Outputs generated for external users should be given special attention in respect of its getup, quality of paper etc.